Monday, 1 June 2015

Summer Is On Its Way The Artistic Stamper Challenge

Hi All

Well i do hope that by the time you read this the weather is still as lovely as it is today, I do like a nice bit of sun.  Its fun and games here at Smith Towers today, after much negotiating with Sky, I finally secured a reasonable price for fibre optic broadband, which should make my life an awful lot easier, our current broadband speed is very slow, almost dial-up!! Just a little chappie round to see what could be done about our front door lock as its been playing up and by taking the  mechanism out its actually got worse and now we can't lock the front door!! as I said all fun and games lol!! So what better way to calm down than by doing a crafty activity !!

So here are the instructions on how I made the canvas featured over on The Artistic Stamper Challenge for June - Summer is on its way.

Take one blank canvas, die cut some honeycomb from The Tim Holtz Honeycomb Die i used four

The butterfly panel was used from an old baby wipe i had kept after wiping up some ink,  sometimes the colours are too muddy and really are not worth keeping other times you can get a nice blend of colours going on.  I then stamped a butterfly from the Butterfly#2 plate all over the baby wipe in Archival Jet Black ink. and stuck this onto the centre of the canvas.  Then placed the die cuts over the top and bottom opposite corners and when i was happy glued them into place.  I did keep all of the little hexagonal pieces of card left over from the die cut.

I then took the flower stencil and grunge paste and added a row of grunge paste flower heads from the flowers and leaves mask across the bottom of the baby wipe.

Then in the top left hand corner i used the left over pieces from the die cut to make a stepped pattern by sticking bits together and leaving a couple of single ones and once happy and in place glued them to the canvas.

Next i stamped two butterflies on card and one onto tissue with Archival Jet Black and then coloured them with Mermaid Lagoon and Cracked Pistachio ink, and then did the same with the dragonfly. Cut them out and the two card ones were stuck together so that you could see the same image once the wings were bent up and also was easier than trying to line up the stamps on the reverse side! I then put these to one side

I sorted through my metal embellishments all brought from The Artistic Stamper  and arranged them around the canvas.

Next i die cut two complete sets of Tattered Florals die and coloured one set in Mermaid Lagoon and the other with Cracked Pistachio, when dry i then stamped and embossed in white the border stamps, and put these to one side with the butterflies.  Initially i did make two of these flowers but decided to discard one, once i had finished with everything else.  I found a mask sitting on my desk so that went on as it well.  I then used some more grunge paste this time using the new mini swirl mask and the splats and swirl mask.  I also added some of the leaves underneath the flower heads with the same stencil as earlier.  I then covered everything except the baby wipe with gesso.  Allowed it all to dry and then spritzed with Mermaid Lagoon and Cracked Pistachio Distress Stain Spray.  You really have to be patient with this and wait for the layers to dry before adding on the next - I speak from experience as I am not terribly patient as i am sure my husband would confirm!!  I sprayed everything that was on the canvas including the baby wipe until i was happy with the colour.

Once this was all dry and i started to add the butterfly, Dragonfly and Flower, and before i glued them in place decided that one of the flowers needed to be orange to add some extra colour, and wanted it to stick out a bit further than the others so out came some more grunge paste and this time i tried adding some orange color burst,  that didn't work terribly well so once it was dry i added some spiced marmalade ink with a dry paintbrush.

Added some random beads i had in my box  for the centre of the flowers and some green beads to hide the edge of the baby wipe, stuck on the butterfly, dragonfly and flower to finish.  You will notice that in some of the photos the colour is much more vibrant than the finished article, this was down to my impatience and not adding enough gesso to start with, and also not waiting for the layers to dry before adding in more spray!  Although I was really pleased with the finished result!

As always do let me know your thoughts, and don't forget to head back to the The Artistic Stamper to add your creation to the challenge, you never know you might be the lucky one!!

Take care