Monday, 31 March 2014

Chocolate Baroque stamps, distress stains, plus a few other bits!!


Today's post is a bit of random card.  It was for my friends husbands birthday, it needed to be a bit different as every card I have given them has been given it's own shelf in their bedroom!!

So I decided to have a really good old play.  I took my steampunkery stamps from Chocololate Baroque! And took the airship stamp out and coloured using a paint brush and mixing bronze distress paint with some brushed courdroy stain, for the wood part of the boat.  For the sails I used a mix of stormy sky, salty ocean and then added a tad of sapphire treasured gold!  I stamped it twice as I wanted to make sure that the sails gave a real feeing of being blown in The wind.

The background was done by swooshing some card in stormy sky and salty ocean again.  I mixed some grunge paste with a tad of salty ocean and then pushed this through crafters workshop mini tile stencil and then once all that had dried, I got a cog border stencil out and sponged walnut stain paint through it, just to balance the colours out a bit.

Finally I mounted the airship on 3D pads and stuck that on the card just moving off of the backing on to the plai white card.  Then with some more antique bronze distress paint covered another small piece of card and stamped the sentiment!!

And here it is
Thanks for looking and as always do let me know what you think.

Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Distress Paints, Fresco Finish paints and a brayer!!

I must say a big Thank you to the Paper Artsy team for there brilliant tutorials, I had been trying to find something in brayering backgrounds when up popped Ellen Vargo post a month or so ago.  Well that was me sorted! Ellen is inspirational, and thanks to her my brayers are now no longer discarded in the drawer but on my desk with all the other stuff I need out!!

I had a piece of card that I had been trying out an idea on which hadn't worked, and it seemed a shame to waste it ;-). So out popped the paints again with the brayer and I set to work laying down blocks and stripes of colour, again using the same colours as before, but this time with a dab of fresco finish caramel as well!

I added some Tim Holtz tape (which really should have gone on first).  Painted over that with a bit of peacock feathers distress stain - I am waiting for the paint to arrive!!  Added some stencilling in fresco finish sky, then cut the A4 pice of card in 4 more or less equal pieces!!

The lighter stencilling was done with white gesso mixed with a tad of spiced marmalade distress paint. Backed with some coredinations card and they are more or less ready to go on some cards now!

As always do let me have your comments.

Has it really been a month!! Distress paints and Paper Artsy Grunge paste came out for this one!

Oh my goodness, I didn't realise it was a month ago I put up my last post!  It's been a bit manic here In Shanghai and although most of the time we have quite good Internet, this month seems to have been full of Internet gremlins.  Firstly the Astrill server went down - this is a VPN site without which I wouldn't be able to see or post any blogs at all!!  Then just lately our Internet has been playing up and taking ages to load pages let alone upload a photo or two!!

Anyway apart from a trip to Korea for my husbands boss's wedding (which was lovely) I have been busy filling orders, having a general play, painting (well trying to) and exploring.  If anybody ever has the chance to visit Shanghai a must see is Yu Yuan it's the old part of town and is beautiful, however it all has what are called the commodities markets and the other day I found one that I didn't know exisited, - well I was in heaven, journals, notebooks, scrapbook papers, a few stamps and some general crafting stuff!!  I ended up with a friend visiting two shops and we were there for three hours!!  Below is the first pages of my new journal - the paper is a bit thin but it's such a thick book I glued a couple of pages together ;-). It has lined paper, plain paper and black paper all in one lovely wire bound hard backed journal cost £2 approx!

Anyway I digress, I just wanted to have a general play with this page, I was trying out some techniques with gesso and using my brayer with distress paints!!

I used gesso to prime the page, the paper was too thin not too!! Then I stenciled on the joggles flower stencil and the crafters companion mini roman lettering.  Then after I brayerd picked raspberry, spiced marmaled with a bit of scattered straw. Once it was dry I sprayed a bit of dylusions lime green. Stamped the dangly bits which I coloured with H2os and the sentiment really said how I was feeling last week!!  It still needs a bit more of something on it but as I can't decide it's going to be a work in progress!!